Friday, April 10, 2020

A case of close-minded communism

The PRC, also know as the People's Republic of Corona formerly called China and my new home for one year boasts a population of 1.39 billion people, the fastest train, most skyscrapers, longest wall in the world and has recently been praised by the World Health Organization for its response to the Corona pandemic, is currently checking "all foreigners" for the virus and placing us "all" under lockdown.

At first, you might be reading this and thinking that it is a very good measure and precaution to prevent further spread of the virus and to the extent that my statement is true, I would agree, especially since we have seen the numbers in China stabilize whilst the rest of the world continues to increase in general, thus it does make sense to check incoming foreigners. Before I begin to share my evidence and experience for the contradiction of the point above, I have to give credit where it is due: Now, given the current propaganda in the Chinese media, my points hereafter should be taken with a grain of salt, but having been in China for almost two months I can say that what I have seen from both the Chinese people and government has been exemplary. 

The government dealt with each province differently, locking down the Hubei province in which the epicenter, Wuhan, is situated and keeping other provinces semi-operational whilst others in full lockdown. Down in the Guangdong province, where I am situated, public transport was still operational, but businesses were closed, however, they could still function via the large network of delivery services and ease of online payment schemes. If we walked around, we were policed by citizens as well as officials to wear our masks. Our temperature was tested at every entrance and we could not enter without a mask. It was compulsory for us to wear masks wherever we went and we were tracked via our cellphones to ensure that we had not been in high risk zones. We were also given an app to show to officials that indicated our health and were given hand sanitizer before entering any building. When receiving food, we were always given plastic gloves to eat with, that came wrapped in a condom-like enclosure!

However, I remember things being a little strange when I asked a man how many religions there were in China and he replied, "Only Wun! Buddhism." And then proceeded to take me to a traditional Uyghur Muslim restaurant where we were served by a Muslim man wearing a thopi (Muslim head gear) . Things got worse after a man asked me if South Africa and Africa were different countries...Yes, countries... (In Mandarin the word for stupid man is Dum Fuk). However, I didn't know these peoples'stories, hence my judgment is from my bias and not theirs. 

The real pain of my stay came just within the last two weeks:

Firstly, the damn cleaning lady! Every, single, day at 7:30am, eventhough I had put the 'Do not disturb' sign on the door  "Ni Hao pu dien! pu dien!" and she would continue to open the door then close it as if she was soooo shocked and could not believe to see I was still asleep. This happened for 8 days straight. What made it worse was by the time she had left and not cleaned my room, I was wide awake... May her legs break (joking) in many pieces (not joking)

Secondly, policemen and guards in China are extremely rude. They don't understand how to talk. Everything is SHOUT so that the common person remains extremely fearful. Well, they never thought about the Indian foreigner they'd be shouting at that cannot understand a word they are saying.  I recall a day that I went into the passage of my hotel to quietly do some stretches as my room was too small. After 15 minutes the guard came up to me and spoke abruptly in mandarin. I told him that I couldn't understand him, but I think he thought that I couldn't hear him so he shouted out the same phrase! I decided to take this convo to Google translate and tell him that my room is too small so I came out to do some stretches. He nodded and proceeded into my room to the aircon control, which he turned to as low as possible. He then physically pushed my into the room and closed the door... I hope his legs...

Thirdly, whilst sleeping one morning, I was awakened by my old friends: the cleaning lady and guard only to find them already in my room snooping around, taking pictures of everything... I mean, how rude could she be? She didn't even greet this time!

The real bane of my time in China came 3 days ago. Whilst exploring the 300 or so channels on my hotel room TV. After hearing a loud knock on my door, I opened and was firmly spoken to in English by a well-dresses Chinese man in black. He was accompanied by two policemen and 5 hotel staff fully clothed in protective gear. He proceeded to ask me a bunch of questions including my name, passport number, age, where I have been, how long I have been in China for, what flight I arrived on, my seat number and the number of the vessel. The look of disappointment on his face when I could not answer the last two questions made me feel so bad for being Asian... How could I dare forget the seat and plane I had been in over 2 months ago?

He later told me that they are testing all foreigners for the virus and that they need to test me. I showed them a test I had received 5 days prior during my visit to the local dentist. He insisted so I complied as it was free #frugalIndian and done via a throat swab which is much better than the nose test my family back in South Africa had taken. 

Two days later, the Guangzhou government apparently released a press statement indicating that some African men had been found with the virus, but were asymptomatic and had been in the country longer than two months. The local government then issued a statement saying that ''all foreigners'' should be checked. Almost immediately, this lead to an anti-foreigner sentiment by some locals. I recall sitting on the bus next to a local lady, she got up and moved away from me as soon as I sat down. Being the stubborn Indian that I am, I followed her and sat next to her and pretended to cough symptomatically - She almost threw herself out the window! In hindsight, this was wrong and could be likened to a man reading Arabic words in a flight from the US...mmm I wonder if I could get away doing that on an Emirates flight in the US. Nevertheless, I wasn't allowed into some of the local places and received strange looks from locals.

The next day, I was woken up at around 12:05am by my favourite guard. He took a picture of me after shouting some Mandarin and then left. The next morning, I woke up to many Facebook messages like the one below:

Anti foreigner sentiment taken from a local Chinese foreigner Face Book page 

There were so many arguments going on regarding how African people are being kicked out onto the street with no place to go or being involuntarily taken into quarantine even though they don't have the virus. I continued my day by going to pick up my results from the previous days test...Negative again. I was then told by my company's manager that I should not go out again as Chinese authorities have become very strict towards foreigners. He said that he would come and see me later that evening to sign my new contract as my employment would commence within a few days.

At roughly around 12:30pm. Three gentlemen came to my door: My good old guard friend, a policeman dressed in civilian clothing with a hat that had written on it, "Police" and a translator. The translator informed be that I cannot leave my room for 14 days and that twice everyday, I should record my temperature and send them a pic. (because I'm going to put my actual temperature on the paper they gave to me) I told them that my two sets of results show that I cannot have the virus and the fact that that I haven't left China aids my argument. But, I was speaking to walls... 2 hours later, I again opened my door to a translator, policeman and 3 fully kitted medical workers. They told me that I have to move to a quarantine hotel and I must pay for it as well as my meals (That's like going to jail and then paying cash for your meals and stay in jail)What's more, is that these guys quarantine in a 4-star hotel. 

I asked about my test results and they said that they were just following orders and if I did not comply, my visa would be cancelled. I asked if this is for African's only and the interpreter kept saying, "We are checking foreigners." So I asked how come my New Zealander neighbour isn't being checked or my colleague from Canada and I was told, "That only my name came up on the system." It was clear what or who the system was targeting. That being said, I was made aware of some cases where other foreigners were checked. I was then taken and placed into a police van waiting for me downstairs. In that moment, I had felt what those suspect murderers, who put their jacket over their heads as they leave the Johannesburg high court, feel. You know, the ones we see on the news all the time back in South Africa. The street had stopped and for a brief moment, time itself. I watched as the local bread man, whom I had bought my breakfast from every morning, looked at me with shame... I was innocent, virus-free, healthy, but it meant nothing. I couldn't be angry at them because they are merely pawns in their governments game.

Sirens on,I was placed into the back of the police van and taken to my current venue, where as I left the vehicle, I was bombarded with flashes by the press as if I was a celebrity, or a convicted felon. Nevertheless, it was all part of the adventure, so I posed for them and gave them my picture to take. I met three other Black African men who gave me the traditional heads up, I replied with traditional Indian head bobble - both of us unable to fathom why we were here.

Two of the medical staff  (front), interpreter (left back) and police van I was placed in(back) as seen on my arrival

Now, I understand that China is taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread, but logically, rationally and all the other words that can indicate some kind of academic brain function, why am I here in quarantine? I have proof that I have been in China for more than two months as well as two sets of results taken within a space of two weeks that show I don't have the virus. I am all for "Flattening the curve" but then why aren't ALL Chinese and foreigners being quarantined. There are various sources indicating that China only started reporting asymptomatic cases from the beginning of April. If my math is correct, that's 10 days, which is enough time for anyone (like my African brothers) in China to contract the virus from China and possibly still remain asymptomatic. I have to admit though that my case is not the worst. Some Africans were removed from their local residence to the streets whilst some were apparently deported.

In times like this, I am reminded: how small and insignificant we are; how fragile freedom is, how naive innocence can be in the face of corruption and just how vulnerable we are as humans. "We are not necessary. The air, earth, water and sky without us, will be fine. When we come back, remember that we are guests, not masters."

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you are experiencing this Naadir. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last little thought truly nailed it on the head, just sad how fragile life is and not just our freedom and health but in all aspects of humans existence. I cannot begin to imagine what this experiance must feel like, stay strong brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry Naadir. It can't be easy having to live in such a way... I hope things improve soon. Keep your head up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salaams Naadir
    Making Dua for ur health and safety . Take special care of yourself

    ReplyDelete
  5. From aunty Ruwaida Ladysmith(RSA}

    ReplyDelete
  6. May Allah grant you Sabr. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete